You know how when something bad happens, all the unimportant stuff in life seems to just melt away?
And you remember that the only things that REALLY matter aren't things at all.
In the end, it's all about people.
And love, of course.
The Beatles were right about that one.
I've been thinking...
There are a lot of things that I love about my sweetheart, and I don't think I've told him lately.
I thought I'd make a list:
- You are the perfect left-brained compliment to my right-brain-ness.
- You like ice cream and so do I.
- You pay our bills faithfully and on time, avoiding the late payment notices that would probably fill our mailbox if I were in charge of that task.
- You fix stuff.
- Especially stuff that involves keyboards and cords and anything electronic.
- You allow me to decorate our bedroom with flowers, pastels, and ruffles.
- You have great taste in cars and bathroom faucets.
- You make difficult phone calls that make me sweat if I have to make them.
- You take our kids to the beach to skim board and body surf with them, even though moving the next day may take an act of Congress.
- You tolerate my stopping at every flower-stand we pass to drool and take a picture. ( See below.)
- You are good at not getting lost in strange countries.
- You appreciate art, and I appreciate that you appreciate it too.
- You give our children blessings when they are sick or scared.
- You forgive and ask for forgiveness quickly.
- You don't hold grudges.
- You think that I'm beautiful first thing in the morning when I haven't showered, brushed my teeth, or put make-up on.
- You keep an excellently groomed lawn when we have one.
- You dazzle me with your eloquence when speaking in front of a group, whether it be your Gospel Doctrine class or a city council meeting.
- You take me to the temple.
- You take me to other beautiful places. (See below.)
- You pretend not to notice when I buy yet another purse.
- You take me to Barnes and Noble late at night on our dates to inhale the delicious smell of coffee and books.
- You aren't mad that I haven't "taken" to golf like I know you would like me to.
- You love my parents as much as I do. (And I yours.)
- You know how to build pretty much anything.
- You never think I'm fat, even when I'm pregnant and I've just eaten my way through a box of powdered donuts.
- You like my girlfriends ALMOST as much as I do.
- You're not embarrassed when pictures like this show up of me on the internet. (See below.)
- You know how to work hard and play hard.
- You cry when you bear your testimony.
- You plow out our driveway all day on Christmas day so my family can come visit, even though I know you would rather be inside taking a nap.
- You're not embarrassed to tell strangers that you're the janitor when you're fixing the toilets in the building that you own.
- You're generous to a fault when somebody we know needs help.
- You're funny and you just get funnier when you're on a roll. (See below.)
- You have some of the world's sexiest legs.
- You still call me your "Girlfriend" even though we've been married for fifteen years.
- You willingly move me and our children to a tropical island because you knew how tired I was of being cold.
- You fly overnight every month, staying awake for nearly 40 hours in a stretch, and work hard in both places we live in order to feed our family.
- You REALLY DO like romantic walks on the beach.
- You like to take me places alone--without short little demanding people around.
- You trust my judgement when it comes to educating our offspring, even when there's utter chaos in the living room as a result.
- You like to shop in The Body Shoppe right along side of me.
- You are curious about all kinds of things.
- You are smart--where did you learn everything you know?
- In short, YOU ARE AWESOME...
I know you've had a bummer week, with big, bad things happening. I agree with Aristotle:
"The beauty of the soul shines out when a man bears
with composure one heavy mischance after another,
not because he does not feel them,
but because he is a man of high and heroic temper."
You are my hero.